To have good oral hygiene, you need to follow a lot of things. And starting from brushing, regular flossing, every step needs to be followed properly to get bright white teeth to mouthwash.
You may think about how mouthwash can help to have good oral hygiene? As we do brushing daily along with flossing, so how can mouthwash help?
Well, there are many advantages of mouthwash, and if any dentist has suggested you to use that, you must have to follow the instructions because mouthwash can help to prevent your mouth from many bacterial infections.
Before you know about the benefits of mouthwash, let us know what mouthwash is?
What is mouthwash?
The primary and foremost concern of mouthwash is providing fresh breath and acts as a preventive method to stop the attacks of bacteria. A mouthwash is a liquid that contains the right amount of required chemicals that can kill the bacterias in your mouth and also reduces bad breath.
Now, if you think that if you use mouthwash, you don’t need to do flossing or brushing, well, you’re wrong. Mouthwash is used to reach the area where normal brush and floss can not reach, and so any plaque or bacteria formed in that area is cleaned out with mouthwash.
When you eat food, the food particles get stuck at someplace within your mouth; even if you brush or floss, they don’t get easily removed. And later, it starts generating plaque, which is produced by bacteria. Later, you will see that you’ve got gum infections and cavities. For which you need to consult a dental office near you.
So in order to avoid these problems, a lot of treatments are available along with that a dentist always recommends fluoride mouthwash. There are several benefits of fluoride mouthwash, and the main one it provides a protective layer to fight gum and bacterial infections
How to use mouthwash properly?
Like you know what mouthwash is and how it helps, but what’s the correct & proper way of using that?
We know that flossing and brushing solve almost all the problems, but you will be safer if you regularly do mouthwash. Using fluoride-rich toothpaste is good enough to provide a protective layer, but a Mouthwash is recommended when someone has issues such as cavities and bacterial infections.
A mouthwash can help strengthen the enamel of the teeth, which helps to fight from acids released by the bacterias available in your teeth. These acids are dangerous as they lead to the cavity, so if you use good quality mouthwash, these acids could be neutralized.
Now let us know….
How to use mouthwash:
- For the very first, ask your dentist the right amount of mouthwash you should take. You shouldn’t assume the quantity, just ask your dentist, and based on the instructions, you should take around the same quantity, neither more nor less.
- When you swish, make sure that you’re properly swishing it all around the mouth. To do it more effectively, close your mouth and put the pressure on the mouthwash and release it. Don’t do it too fast either or too slow; maintain the balance, and do it properly.
- Once you swish it, you need to spit it out, DO NOT swallow the mouthwash. As if you do so, the fluoride present within the mouthwash could be toxic for your body if a large amount of fluoride is swallowed. And when you’re giving the mouthwash to your child, maintain the quantity and ask them not to swallow it.
- You shouldn’t rinse your mouth after applying the mouthwash, which is the primary concern of mouthwash to provide a fluoride-based protective layer. Using water to rinse the mouth can destroy the layer, so it is suggested that you shouldn’t use water to rinse.
- Next to it, you should wait at least 30 minutes before you eat or drink anything. It is strictly advised that you shouldn’t smoke after the mouth wash as smoking can easily destroy the power of fluoride mouthwash.
And now, since you’re well aware of how to use smart mouth mouthwash, you must be willing to know what type of mouthwash would be good for your teeth? Isn’t it?
Let us have a quick view of the same:
1: Almost every mouthwash has some quantity of alcohol, so when you buy the mouthwash, make sure that it doesn’t contain a large amount of alcohol. Adults can easily tolerate the effect but are very harmful to children.
2: If you ever feel uncomfortable right after its use for more than 2-3 times, you should change the mouthwash, as not all the mouthwashes are sensible for all kinds of teeth. It is suggested that you should ask your dentist about the best alternative.
3: These days, smart mouthwashes are on-demand, as they do both things, removing the bad breath to the elimination of plaque formed. So always ask for a mouthwash that can do both of the tasks.
So the next question is, how many times should you use mouthwash?
Well, this is a pervasive question, and an exact guideline for this question is not available. Many dentists recommend that you use mouthwash only after the brushing and flossing, as the results are better with this flow.
A strict precaution for using mouthwash:
It is recommended that children under the age of 6 shouldn’t use the mouthwash as they don’t know how to spit or use it properly. Also, the ingredients in the mouthwash could be harmful to children.
Likewise, adults shouldn’t swallow the mouthwash, as the alcohol in the mouthwash could be harmful because it has some fluoride too.
And people who’ve open sores or oral lesions should always ask their dentist before using the mouthwash. High use of mouthwash could be dangerous too.
These were some Dos and Dont’s for using mouthwash. If you’ve any dental issues, you can book a quick appointment with West Keller Dental. This dentistry in Keller has experienced dentists who could do all types of treatments and provides the best solutions.