If you’re concerned about your health, you certainly follow good oral hygiene. And for that, you’re definitely doing brushing twice a day. And now adding more perfection, you use a good toothbrush, with perfect toothpaste, and also you do daily flossing. But have you ever noticed when the last time you changed your brush was? Or do you know how often you should change your toothbrush?
We know that every toothbrush has soft bristles and if they’re hard or less in quantity, then that’s not a good toothbrush. But even if you have a good toothbrush and you do regular brushing twice a day, where each brushing session is of 2 minutes, then you’ll notice that the bristles of the toothbrush start to fray. And if it continues, then you can’t clean your whole teeth properly which itself will result in the production of harmful bacteria. And that itself is the answer to “how often should i change my toothbrush”.
Now, as you’re aware that changing toothbrush is a necessity, but…..
How often should you replace your toothbrush?
Chances are pretty good that you know and do change out your toothbrush, but are you doing it frequently enough? How often should you replace your toothbrush?
It is recommended that on average you should change your toothbrush once in 3 months. As bristles of the toothbrush are not that long-lasting, and to get the most effective results, it is highly recommended to change it in a max of 3 months. And for people who don’t brush daily may change their toothbrush in a max of 6 months.
So now if you think how often I should change my toothbrush, you’ve got the answer, every three months. No matter how great quality toothbrush you’ve got, the bristles don’t have a long-lasting age. And so to put yourself on a safe side, you need to change it in 3 months.
Also, it is no rule that you need to extend it to 3 months, if the condition of your toothbrush is going bad or worst, then it is clear that it is the time to replace it with a new one. Also, if you don’t wash your brush properly, there are some bacterias left, which may again attack your teeth. So make sure that after you brush, you rinse properly, and wash your brush with extreme notice. Also, make sure that you put the toothbrush in a standing position so that it dries out and bacteria dies.
How often should you change an electric toothbrush head?
Just to make your work-flow easier, many people prefer using an electric toothbrush. As the heads of the electric toothbrush are pretty faster and efficient than a normal one, as it rotates and vibrates at the same time hence gives better results. But just for information, heads of these electric brushes have nylon bristles almost as equal to the normal brushes; therefore they also go with the phase of wear after you use it regularly.
That’s a pretty obvious thing that smooth and soft bristles don’t have a longer life, but they’re more efficient than a rough one.
And for these electric toothbrush head, you need to change them every two months or even earlier based on the condition of the head. You need to pay attention to the heads of the brush regularly, and if you see that the bristles are not in proper shape, you need to replace it with a new one instantly.
So the answer to How often should you change an electric toothbrush head is 2months.
Reasons to change your toothbrush
Even if you regularly replace your toothbrush and brush head after regular use that’s good, but in many cases, you may notice few other instances when replacement is needed.
- We know that infections of viruses and bacteria spread more quickly than anything you can imagine. So if anyone in your family or even if you’ve been sick you should replace the toothbrush of your own and of other family members too.
- Also, special care for children is needed when they’re big enough to do the brushing. As your child may mash up the heads of the brush and in many cases, it is seen that they throw or keep the brush in the wrong position such that the head interacts with a surface that may have some virus or bacteria.
- Also, if someone has used your brush by mistake, you need to boycott that brush, just go with a new one no matter what.
So it is recommended that you should replace the brush of your child every month or two, as they need special care.
How to take care of your toothbrush?
Well, it is as easy as you think. Taking good care of the toothbrush involves all the information as mentioned above.
- Make sure that you wash your toothbrush regularly and in a good manner. Also, make it a habit that you will put your brush in a standing position such that it could dry out quickly and the bacterias die.
- Also, if you ever notice blood while brushing, make sure that you wash your brush with warm water, as there may be cases that the blood will remain at the bottom of the toothbrush head so may produce some bacterias later.
So these were some best practices that everyone needs to follow no matter how good your brush is, you need to maintain strict hygiene. And always change your toothbrush on time. Also, if you notice any issues related to your teeth, then you should consult our professional dental care experts Dr. Saurabh Singhal and his experienced oral hygiene team for quick and pain-free treatment.